We are Recruiting: Graduate Software Engineer
Location: Edinburgh (Heriot Watt Research Park)
Computer Application Services (CAS) have a great opportunity for a computer science graduate looking to develop their career in a technical environment. You might be a fresh graduate with confidence in your programming skills, or you might have one or two years’ experience.
You’ll be working in our product team of experienced business analysts and engineers, to support the development of the next generations of our Workpro case management and workflow product.
This position will provide you with an opportunity to develop your skills as a software engineer, both by working alongside others and through an individual training plan developed to suit your needs.
You will be working in our product development team of experienced software engineers, using Microsoft .Net technology, to develop the current and next generations of our Workpro case management and workflow product.
Day-to-day, you’ll be working with other software engineers, business analysts and testers to fix bugs and add new features to upcoming new versions of Workpro.
The graduate software engineer will be involved in:
- Implementing new features
- Fixing bugs
- Writing automated tests
- Working with business analysts to define new software features
The team is cross-functional and uses an agile approach to continuously improve our delivery and effectiveness.
As an employee-owned company, we take our work seriously, but the office environment is relaxed and informal and we enjoy nights out as a whole team.
Graduate from an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in computer science or similar degree.
Skills / Experience
Have a good understanding (through coursework or experience) of programming in an object-oriented language (e.g. C# or Java).Gra
Have programmed in a web server environment (e.g. ASP.Net or on a LAMP stack)
Work well in an agile environment:
- You’re a team player
- You’re prepared to take ownership of your work and get things done
- You take pride in your work and don’t accept second best
- You enjoy learning and using your learning to improve the way the team works.
Experience of using a source code repository and an issue tracking system is also desirable.
Workpro case management software is widely used by customer care operations throughout the UK to manage casework, reduce costs, increase productivity and provide service excellence. It aids users by managing their work in line with consistent workflow processes, and supports learning and improvement through the recording of information about a workflow which can be interpreted through reports and charts. Handling all manner of cases from complaints and enquiries to complex investigations, Workpro automates the steps and procedures which are critical to effective case management.
Workpro is an ASP.Net application, built on Microsoft SQL Server and SharePoint technology.
Why Work for CAS?
- Develop your career in an established software company with a start-up attitude
- Great benefits
- Training and career development, giving you the opportunity to take on real responsibility quickly
- New employee-ownership structure gets you into a growing organisation at the ground floor
- Great location on the Heriot Watt campus
- Work life balance
- Work on an established project which is evolving in new directions and into new markets
After 6 months you will be eligible for our pension scheme and for long term sickness cover, as well as a profit-share scheme which is available to all employees through our ownership structure.
You will have the opportunity to develop your skills as a business analyst and product owner by working with an experienced team.
You will have a training plan developed for you, including both internal and external training and mentoring by other staff members.
CAS is an employee-owned software company, and is the oldest software house in Scotland, coming into existence under the wing of Heriot-Watt University in 1969. CAS is based on the Heriot-Watt Research Park to the West of Edinburgh.
CAS has two primary application areas:
- Case management, and our workflow product Workpro, which is used across a number of industries, with a significant presence in ombudsman organisations.
- Defence, where development is focused on our Electronic Warfare product, used on military tactics ranges to provide a realistic training environment for air forces.
Further information about CAS: https://www.casltd.com
Further information about Workpro: http://www.workpro.com